Monday 7 September 2009

dolls


Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~From the television show The Wonder Years


Memory is a funny thing, how one memory triggers another and then another, then before you know it you have the memory domino effect. Well that happened this weekend, my mum came to visit bringing a suspicious looking carrier bag from my sister. A carrier bag of dolls. Dolls from every part of the globe. There are elements of these dolls that are undoubtedly darkly grotesque, but there is something really quite whimsical about them. I still can't decide if I really hate them or really like them, the jury is still out. I was never much of a doll person as a child I was more in to decapitating them and giving them a felt tip makeovers, that Gok would be proud of. This bag of dolls started the memory domino effect with thoughts of this little bear, which my mum handed down to me a few years ago, he has no name, has one ear, medals around his neck, and sits on our dresser. He was my great granddad's and he carried this bear whilst fighting in the first world war and throughout his life, until it was passed on to my mum as a child. This bear has been a constant wonder throughout my life, of the stories he could tell, and a trigger for memories of a wonderful man who we all still really miss. I think it will soon be time to hand this bear down to Scarlett my little niece. That's a bit frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment