Sunday 14 February 2010

love



Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy
Not a red rose or a satin heart.

I give you an onion.
It is a moon wrapped in brown paper.
It promises light
like the careful undressing of love.

Here.
It will blind you with tears
like a lover.
It will make your reflection
a wobbling photo of grief.

I am trying to be truthful.

Not a cute card or a kissogram.

I give you an onion.
Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips,
possessive and faithful
as we are,
for as long as we are.

Take it.
Its platinum loops shrink to a wedding-ring,
if you like.

Lethal.
Its scent will cling to your fingers,
cling to your knife.

What is love?
It's been a whole day of love in all it's many guises.
It's been a day of real love, not that forced kind of Valentine love, where love comes wrapped up in a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers.
Love is simple so why do people over complicate it so
For me it's simple, this morning lying in bed drinking coffee together, dreaming, laughing, appreciating that we are so different to the very core, that in theory we shouldn't work, but we do. Then love comes down the phone by a friend sending a message to wish two of her favourite people a happy valentine day.
Then to meet some of our favourite loves, friend that we haven't known so long and every time we meet them we find out a little more, we laughed shared worlds, drank wine, Phil spoke bad Portuguese we all laughed at him. Thank you Adri and Bruno.
Then there is the love story shared to me by H who is 93, a real love story.I asked H to fill me in in the last bit of the story today. What happened in Piccadilly in 1943 as it was Valentine's day. H has been divulging bits of this story for months she always shares a little bit more with me every time I see her. Her body is giving up but when she tells me the story she is back at that moment in 1943 and her eyes sparkle and she is in love again. I wonder what happened in Piccadilly and if I will ever find out what happened ?
I have just spoken to my mum and she is always about love.
Now to sit by the fire, read, share food and wine with Phil and Archie the cat.
A day of the realist kind of love




1 comment:

  1. im so curious about H. She reminds me the old lady from the Titanic.
    Bruno

    ReplyDelete