Monday 31 August 2009

birds, bags and baz



Bank holiday Monday, so lovely to have a day off, this afternoon I sat in my studio on my rickety green chair embroidering birds onto a little evening bag, listening to the radio, channel hopping as ever, when one of those songs pops on that stops you dead in your tracks you don't know whether to laugh, dance or cry. I did all three.
It is Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's free (to wear sun screen).
These are just some of the lyrics.
I will dispense this advice now. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not
understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.
But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself and
recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before
you and how fabulous you really looked….You’re not as fat as you
imagine. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday. Do one thing everyday that scares you Sing Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours. Floss Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes
you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with
yourself. Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you
succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements. Stretch Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t. Get plenty of calcium.


I think these observations are a good rule of thumb for life, for everyone.
Listen to it and tell me you didn't laugh, dance and cry all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment