Friday 2 October 2009

re -occurring

a little bird told me

An artist's early work is inevitably made up of a mixture of tendencies and interests, some of which are compatible and some of which are in conflict. As the artist picks his way along, rejecting and accepting as he goes, certain patterns of enquiry emerge. His failures are as valuable as his successes: by misjudging one thing he conforms something else, even if at the time he does not know what that something else is.” -- Bridget Riley.
Did not sleep very well last night and was lying awake thinking about the stuff that was tumble drying round in my head, It's always a time where ideas come to me, or often when I am driving. I am a great experimenter I am not frightened to try new materials, ways of working, so lots goes wrong but also that enables happy accidents, that are more often than not my most successful stuff. But whatever I try there are still re-occurring themes that creep into my work. The fragility and power of the lovers, solitary women, the day after the night before, stripes, messenger birds and ethereal buterflies just passing through. I work on commissions for lots of different things, but still can't resist somewhere placing a sneaky stripe in or something from my re-occurring file in my head. These themes are so deep rooted, I can't remember when they started appearing in my work. Maybe they always have in some form or another.
www.patchworkbutterfly.folksy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment